Saturday, March 13, 2010

Apology Owed

Well it looks like I owe Fazoli's an apology. Turns out that I failed the second glucose test without their help. Sorry for the trash talking!

I was diagnosed yesterday with gestational diabetes. What does that mean? I really don't know everything yet, but here is what I do know:

- my blood sugar levels are too high. I will need to be put on a program to lower those. (Exact program TBD). Bummer side - GD Diet (and that stands for gestational diabetes diet - NOT what YOU were thinking). That means low carb or carb counting. Potential for insulin injections. Bright side - I can still eat. And Kyle said he would do the low carb thing with me!

- I will be transferred to a different doctor, one who deals full time in OB-GYN and gestational diabetes. Bummer side - I really liked Dr. Bultje and am sad to switch at this point. Bright side - Dr. Bultje is referring me to a woman she knows and likes who will be more experienced. And I like meeting new people.

- Until I get an appointment scheduled with this new doctor, I was prescribed a glucometer so that I can test my blood sugar levels. I am supposed to test myself in the morning (for a "fasting" reading) and 1 hour after each meal. If my blood sugar is high after that meal (over 140), well then I guess I know what to avoid. Bummer side - pricking your finger 4 times a day. Bright side - The glucometer comes in a pretty sweet carrying case that you can wear on a belt. Ok - this is not really a bright side, because really, who would do this? Real bright side? It doesn't hurt at all.

I will post more as I learn it. But I have been told that this isn't a big deal and that I should get used to a life full of surprises now that I am having a baby. Gotta just roll with the punches, right?

2 comments:

  1. I am starting low carb dieting again tomorrow so I will be doing it with you too!! Just from an hour away! :) Thinking of you and hang in there it's all worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear this Nicole. Love your attitude about it.

    ReplyDelete